The explosion was believed to have been caused by a gas leak and investigations were ongoing, the AP said, citing an Interior Ministry spokesperson.
— NEXTA (@nexta_tv) April 3, 2022
“Very sad news about casualties as a result of explosion at the club downtown Baku,” US Ambassador Khazar Ibrahim tweeted. “My condolences and prayers.”
Very sad news about casualties as a result of explosion at the club downtown Baku. My condolences and prayers. https://t.co/W694poTNxZ
— Khazar Ibrahim (@hazar_khazar) April 3, 2022
Some 24 of the injured had been hospitalized, most with burns, the AP quoted a Health Ministry spokesperson as saying.
Azerbaijan’s health ministry did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment outside working hours. The interior ministry could not immediately be reached.
The country’s emergency services were called to the club at 3 a.m. (2300 GMT on Saturday) and extinguished the fire before it could spread, the AP said, citing a statement from the department.